The alcohol used for glögg and glögg extract is of course important for the
finished result. Choose good quality rum/cognac and white wine. They
have to be so good that you want to drink them, but don’t have to cost a
fortune. Try Cuvée Katrina 2019.
Homemade glögg extract is a wonderful hostess gift, especially if you put
together a small set that also includes white wine, raisins and almond slivers.
WINE PAIRING OF THE MONTH
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- Slice oranges and lemon in thin slices and put them in a
- Add apple cider so it covers the citrus fruit slices.
- Add the vanilla sugar, ginger, star anise, cloves, peppercorns and allspice.
- Bring everything to a boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off of the heat and let it cool. Once
cooled, add the rum or cognac.
- Pour the extract in to a container with a lid and let it seep
in the fridge for at least a few hours, but preferably 1-2
- Strain the extract and keep it in the fridge until needed (it
can last in the fridge for 3-4 weeks).
- When ready to use, heat the extract with 1 bottle (750
ml) of good quality white wine in a saucepan (we suggest
Cuvée Katrina 2019) – the mixture must not boil or the
alcohol will evaporate.
- Add a little additional sugar if needed and serve with raisins and almond slivers. Enjoy!